2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 10:04 AM by landicklab

file is directory error

landicklab

Title

file is directory error

System : Mac 10.6.7

FileMaker : 11.0v1

I'm trying to list files within a local folder using a Web Viewer field.

I can view a txt file, however when I try view the contents of the folder, the status message states "file is directory".

For example; under Web Address, "File:/Users/lab/Desktop/tempfolder/READ_ME.txt" shows the contents of the txt file, however if I shorten the Web Address to "File:/Users/lab/Desktop/tempfolder/", the status message states "file is directory".

I understand that on the PC side what I'm trying to do works as I'm trying to do it.

IT has insisted that I do not update to 11.0v3. Has this problem been resolved in the update?

Can anyone suggest how to resolve this problem on the Mac platform?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: file is directory error
          philmodjunk

Not having a Mac, I can't test this behavior out on one.

Did IT give any reason why you shouldn't update to v3? It's been out quite a while now and I haven't seen any major trouble reports linked to v3 so I am wondering why they are insisting you not upgrade.

v3 doesn't have any bug fixes that I am aware of that would affect this behavior.

On the PC side this "feature" is buggy, if you are using Windows XP--so there's no real improvment available by switching platforms.

For More Information see:    Limited Local File Access Through Web Viewer in Windows XP

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:   http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 2. Re: file is directory error
            landicklab

Thanks Phil.

IT did explain why they don't want me to upgrade, but the discussion happened been several months ago and I don't remember the details.

Sound  like the feature does work without problem on Win7 in the link. This  might be good news for us if this feature does work like we need it to.

I  have access to both XP and Win7 through VMWare, which might add  additional complications. If it does, there's always boot camp.

Jeff