1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 1:47 PM by philmodjunk

File link works in Designer mode but not in regular user  mode

KirkGonzalez

Title

File link works in Designer mode but not in regular user  mode

Hi,

I'm pretty much a newbie. I've worked with FMP several years ago on a small project but have forgotten more than I remember. I'm running the trail version of FMP 11 and I'm confused on something about linking files.

Basically, I want a way to keep track of my projects and the associated resources I have with them (contacts, web links, emails, MS office docs, PDFs, locations of hardcopy, ect.) I found a linking command I thought would work for me on the electronic files on my computer or network but it only seems to work when I'm in the layout designer mode.

I entered Insert > Object  then selected the options |Create from File  and |Display as icon. I selected my Word document.

When I double-click on the icon, Word opens with my document. Exactly what I wanted.

When I get out of the designer layout mode and I'm viewing the data like a regular user and I try and click on the icon nothing happens. It not only doesn't open the file, it doesn't seem to even act as a link, more as a static picture.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Also, do you know of an easier method so that I could just stay in the regular data layout mode and add my list of files so they will open in the program they were created? I'm not sure if I would have to write a script each time to do it,( that seems cumbersome and I don’t know how). I'd like a method that is easy enough that any user could do this without hardly any knowledge of FMP.

Thanks,