1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 8:33 AM by TSGal

File locks up with Coffe cup icon when trying to access PO Picker invoice sorter version 9.0

adamite11

Title

File locks up with Coffe cup icon when trying to access PO Picker invoice sorter version 9.0

I have a filemaker pro 9 database on a win 2003 server. It is open and shared with 3 other pcs. (not server version).  I can open the file fine on all 3 win xp pro pcs, but 1 pc after opening the file does not allow me to view list of Purchase Orders (icon called PO Picker).  It locks up with coffee cup icon, and i have to do ctrl alt del which shows not responding.  It sometimes works, but sometimes it does not.  I am not having this problem with any other fmpro database file.  The file was created with fmpro 2. and has about 5000 purchase orders in the database to sort each time.  Is there a way to archive old POs?

• 1. Re: File locks up with Coffe cup icon when trying to access PO Picker invoice sorter version 9.0
          TSGal

adamite11:

Thank you for your post.

The coffee cup icon can appear for a number of reasons, and it can be caused by the actions of other guests.  If you are performing a Find on any field, and another guest is modifying a record with a lot of text that may change the index, the coffee cup icon will appear.  guest updates the indexbut it always results to .  For example, if a guest attempts to perform a find on any field and another user is editing a record with a lot of text, the coffee cup icon may appear.  This also goes for sorts, or if a field is being indexed for the first time.

If the host machine is running FileMaker Server, and a backup is active, the coffee cup icon will appear, waiting for the backup to complete. 

If one machine on the network is slower than the rest of the guests, then it is possible for that machine to get stuck trying to access the database and result in the coffee cup icon displaying.  This happens because each machine on the network will "poll" (access) the host when it is busy.  Faster machines will get in line, and even though they wait the same amount of time, they may be able to react more quickly and get the hosts attention.  What happens in a busy situation is that the slower guest keeps getting bumped to the end of the line.

If this happens when you are opening the file, then you probably have some sort of startup script possibly doing a sort.  You may want to check "File Options" (under the File menu) and see if a script is being executed.  If so, look at the script and see what it is doing.

To archive old POs, you can clone the file (File menu - Save a Copy As...), find the records you want to archive, open the clone file and import from the main file.  Once finished, you can then remove the archived records from the current database, since they are now saved in the clone file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.