8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 11:05 AM by schamblee

file maker go stopped working

tedesco12

Title

file maker go stopped working

my file maker go stopped working agin. i checked the ports are forwards to 5003 and nothing changed as far as settings go. this is the second time this happened now is there a way to prevent it?

it says "file "invoices" could not be opened either the host is not available or the files is not available on the host......

it connects through wifi only. i need it on the LTE network

• 1. Re: file maker go stopped working
          schamblee

You will need a public static ip address.  This public static ip address can be on the hosting computer.  If the public static ip is on the modem then you will also need to setup  the non-public ip address to be static on the hosting computer.

Option 1 public static ip address for server (hosting computer)

Option 2 public static ip address for modem forward to a non-public static ip address on the server (hosting computer)

If the ip address is not static then it can and will change from time to time. 

• 2. Re: file maker go stopped working
            tedesco12

thanks for your reply, if the address is not static is there a way to make it static? 

sorry I'm not a programer, I'm having trouble figuring out how to fix it.

i have a modem upstairs and the hosting computer is linked through wifi. are u saying the IP on my modem changed? therefore disrupting the connection on my hosting computer?

thanks 

• 3. Re: file maker go stopped working
              schamblee

A public ip address usually cost.  You can check with your internet service provider for prices of a public static ip address.  

For the not public ip address then it is a matter of changing it in the network card settings.  You will see one option, obtain an ip address automatically or second option, use the following ip address.  You will select use the following ip address then enter the ip address that you want that computer to use all the time.

You can go to a website such as www.whatismyip.com to get your current public ip address of your modem.   

• 4. Re: file maker go stopped working
                tedesco12

this post didnt help me at all. i dont even know where my network card settings are...... i have the file sharing turned on. in filemaker and the IP next to it hasn't changed in a while. its the same since the last time i had the problem. i guess thats the PUBLIC IP? or is that the local IP....

i also checked in the router settings for the "You will see one option, obtain an ip address automatically or second option, use the following ip address.  You will select use the following ip address then enter the ip address that you want that computer to use all the time"  these options and they are no where to be found. 

Also, i went to whatsmyip.org on my desktop computer which is hardwired to internet, and also my hosted computer which is a laptop hooked up through wifi.......they are both the SAME IP...not sure if that matters....

thanks again for your time 

• 5. Re: file maker go stopped working
                  schamblee

If the post didn't help then you need to hirer a network specialize / professional. 

• 6. Re: file maker go stopped working
                    tedesco12

why is that ? Last time i had this issue it was resolved through the forums and everyone was very accommodating.....please let me know if theres someone else., maybe someone who helped me last time? thanks in advance. 

• 7. Re: file maker go stopped working
                      schamblee

I gave you the answer and you didn't understand the answer, so the only option left is to get a professional to set it up for you.

Every device that connects to a network has two options : automatically retrieve ip address or manually enter ip address.  The manual method is how you set a static ip address on the device, which is the information I provided above.

You will have to purchase a public static ip address if you do not want the public ip address to change. 

If you do not use  static ip addresses then they will change and you will have to setup manually again.  

Click on "My Stuff" (meaning your stuff) on the top of this webpage to see your prior post, then review those post to set it up as it was before.

• 8. Re: file maker go stopped working
                        schamblee

Note: There is not a setting to set your public ip address on your modem.  Your isp controls the ip address on the modem and if it is static or not.  You can change setting (ip address) in the router, computer and other devices connected to the router.