4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 4:05 PM by disabled_JackRodgers

File Maker is not creating a new record

Mellow_D

Title

File Maker is not creating a new record

Hello Again File Maker Peoples,

I have antoher issue and I turn to you for help. So when ever I create and new record File Maker is supposed to generate a unique "seral number" if you will, but as of late it seems to generate the same number sequence even if I create a new record. Any thoughts and or ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thank you, 

Mellow_D

FM_barcodes.png

• 1. Re: File Maker is not creating a new record
          LaRetta_1
          Hi Mellow_D, If you are using the auto-enter serial increment and it is creating the same number then check that the field is not set as global.  Go to the field in Manage Database and select Options and go to Storage tab and uncheck global. If that isn't it, then it might just be displaying same value because it is a related field and not the primary key for THAT table?  Otherwise it would help to see the file if you could upload it somewhere.
          • 2. Re: File Maker is not creating a new record
            Mellow_D

Hi LaRetta, Thank you for you reply, based on your suggestion I checked out the global setting and it's definitely not a global field and it's not being used as a key (primary or foreign). I'll try to dig a little more to see if i can find some clues. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: File Maker is not creating a new record
              philmodjunk

Better consider this possiblity as mentioned by LaRetta:

"then it might just be displaying same value because it is a related field"

Say you have two tables: Table1 and table2 linked in a relationship.

If this field is from table2 but the layout refers to table1 in Layout setup | "Show records from", then you might be seeing the same record from table 2 displayed once for each record in table 1. Creating a new record on this layout creates a new record in table 1, but will not create a new record in table 2, you'd need to switch to a different layout based on table 2 in order to create a new table 2 record.

• 4. Re: File Maker is not creating a new record

Double check your field definition to ensure nothing has changed serial number wise. The field on the left should show the last number.

You are using the auto method rather than creating it manually by some hidden method?