3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2012 1:18 PM by philmodjunk

File Maker Pro 12

David40

Title

File Maker Pro 12

I am running FMP-9 on a iMac.  Has anyone had any problems upgrading to FMP-12?  I have a program running FMP-9 with over 80,000 records.  I cannot afford to lose that data.  FMP tech services said there should be no problem with upgrading.  I thought I would ask the user community.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

• 1. Re: File Maker Pro 12
          philmodjunk

When you use FileMaker 12 to open your file and convert it, it produces a new converted copy of your database with the original file unchanged. Thus the conversion process itself will not jeopardize your original files and the data that they contain.

Whether the resulting new file will work the way you expect it to is not something anyone can predict with certainty. A few aspects of FileMaker 12 will behave differently and each new version of FileMaker introduces its own set of bugs that may or may not affect how your database functions.

I suggest that you download the 30 day free trial of FileMaker 12 and use it to produce a converted copy of the file that you can test to see how it works for you.

• 2. Re: File Maker Pro 12
            David40

Thank you for your response!  I apologize for the long delay in following up.  

The new update (FMP 12) did just as you said and converted the old file to a new one leaving the original unchanged.  However, I needed to remove the old application for the new one to work.  

This resulted in another question.  Can I run both FMP-9 & 12 at the same time?  Since I have one program created in FMP-9 and the newer one created in FMP-12, is it possible to run both?  FMP-12 has many new features and the layouts have changed.  I would like to continue using the old program in FMP-9 until I feel comfortable with 12.

Thank you again!

Dave

• 3. Re: File Maker Pro 12
              philmodjunk

I have Filemaker 11 and Filemaker 12 open and running simultaneously on this computer as I type this reply. As far as I know, you can do the same with 9 and 12. Just keep in mind that you can't directly pull data from the FMP 9 files into the fmp 12 files. You have to either convert the files as you have already done once or you can export the data from 9 into tab, csv, or merge files and then import from such data files into the version 12 database or vice versa.