Friday Fun: Select Records / Checkboxes with Scrollbars

Video created by PeterDoern on May 18, 2018

At some point we all encounter the problem of a user wanting to select multiple records and then perform an action on them.

Typically -- and this is the approach that I've always resorted to -- we use a combination of global variable or field, buttons, scripts, calculated fields and conditional formatting to gather, store, indicate and act upon selected records.

philmodjunk's excellent Adventures in FileMaking #2 provides great examples, esp. under Checkboxes with Scrollbars I & II.

I have to emphasize that Phil's work is great and this is not a critique of these methods. Like I say, this The technique described above is exactly how I've been doing this sort of thing for 20+ years.

Recently, I encountered this problem again and re-evaluated what I was doing and why. (READ: I am lazy and I didn't want to build buttons, scripts, calculated fields and conditional formatting)

I think I've come up with a way to achieve all of this with minimal programming. Just two fields, no scripts, no buttons, no calculations, no conditional formatting. No record locking issues in multi-user environment.

I figured I'd share this first as a "Friday Fun" challenge first, although it's definitely not on par with prior submissions by Todd Geist and Phil. Pretty sure any FileMaker developer should be able to figure out what I'm doing. Anyway, I look forward to your thoughts.