ERD Tools

Document created by jbrown Expert on Jan 15, 2018Last modified by coherentkris on Jan 18, 2018
Version 11Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

The purpose of an Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD) is to plan out the relationships between entities in your data model. An ERD uses special symbols to demonstrate a kind of relationship between two entities: one-to-many, many-to-many, one-to-one. It can even get more specialized in showing the number of required records in a table (0 or more, 1 or more, 1 only, etc).

The ERD might end up resembling a spider web, a confusing-seeming diagram of boxes and lines, but after studying the diagram, one can clearly see the relationships.

Entity Relationship Diagram - Everything You Need to Know About ER Diagrams

Here are some tools that people have used to create an ERD:

Tool
PlatformComments
Free ER Diagram ToolWeb
FileMakermacOS and WindowsFM Buttons and Lines
OmniGrafflemacOSAppleScript'able and good for lots of things
Draw.ioWeb https://www.draw.io/
YedMac, Win, Linux, Java, Webhttps://www.yworks.com/products/yed
InspirationMac, Win

Inspiration Software, Inc. - The Leader in Visual Thinking and Learning | inspiration.com Fairly simple. Originally designed for teachers and students. Works well. Much less bloat than OmniGraffle or other such tools. Simple. Fast.

GliffyWeb, Chrome extensionGliffy Online Extras
Pen and Paper / WhiteboardN/A

When I architect an ERD I will typically do it on a piece of paper and / or a whiteboard.

When I need to document an ERD I typically use Gliffy

MySQL WorkbenchMac, Win, Linux

MySQL :: MySQL Workbench

The MySQL Workbench Developer Central Site

Free.

Can create ER Models ( and of course able to connect to MySQL database and edit data / schema)

Microsoft VisioWindows (maybe iOS too?)Has many built in useful drawing types.
Sparx Systems Enterprise ArchitectWindowsFull blown database engineering management system for SQL but has lots of functionality that can be used for FM.
13 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes