8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2009 3:13 PM by philmodjunk

How do you change the font and size for all records?

coastsideguitar

Title

How do you change the font and size for all records?

I have a FM database with 105 records. The font for all fields is Verdana 12 and I want to change the font for all records and fields to Arial 11. I'm using FMP 10. Is there an easy way to do this?

• 1. Re: How do you change the font and size for all records?
          donjuancarlos_1
             The font size is tied to the field on your layout, not the record itself. So you should be able to select all fields in Layout mode, right click, select Text Format, and change your settings there.
          • 2. Re: How do you change the font and size for all records?
            philmodjunk

donjuancarlos wrote:
            The font size is tied to the field on your layout, not the record itself. So you should be able to select all fields in Layout mode, right click, select Text Format, and change your settings there.

This changes the fonts for just the current layout. Other existing layouts will remain unchanged.

Here's another helpful hint:

While in layout mode, choose your font settings, while NO objects in the layout are selected. This will then select what font options will be automatically applied to each new object you add to a layout.

• 3. Re: How do you change the font and size for all records?
              coastsideguitar

Been busy so just now getting around to getting back. Your answer seemed as if it should work but did not. After doing what you wrote and select save layout then exit layout, data under the contacts tab of the Task Management Database is still set to Verdana 12. True for all records. Also same result if I shift-click to select just the fields in use.

Is there something I am missing to change all existing records to Arial 11 and guarantee newly added records will be set to Arial 11?

Thanks

• 4. Re: How do you change the font and size for all records?
                philmodjunk

"After doing what you wrote and select save layout then exit layout, data under the contacts tab of the Task Management Database is still set to Verdana 12. True for all records. Also same result if I shift-click to select just the fields in use."

None of what we have suggested will affect fields on other layouts. My "trick" sets the default setting for any NEW fields you add to your layout and only that layout. When you work with a layout in browse mode, you will see the font settings for the current object.

• 5. Re: How do you change the font and size for all records?
                  coastsideguitar

Hi Phil, 

I was responding to Don Juan Carlos's solution - his process did not change the font to Arial 11 for all objects in the 105 existing records. This is what I need to do. Any help for this problem? Thanks for your additional tip - good information for later.

Thanks,

Robert 

• 6. Re: How do you change the font and size for all records?
                    philmodjunk

His method should work also, but again just for one layout at a time.

If that isn't working for you, I'd check and see if any of the objects are "locked". Enter layout mode, select all the objects in your layout and pull down the arrange menu. If "unlock" is not grey, select it. Now try selecting font styles for all your layout objects in one step.

• 7. Re: How do you change the font and size for all records?
                      coastsideguitar

Ok none of the objects were locked to that is not the problem. This is strange because it seems that changes to the font style and size in all or selected fields/objects in the edit layout mode should do the trick but no success.

History:

Client used Task Management  Business Project to create initial DB
                      Data names addresses were copied and pasted one line at a time from a Word doc in which the text format was Verdana 12
                      All though the default font for Contact part of the database objects were Arial 11, upon copy and past from word doc, Verdana 12 was "saved" only in those field used per record.

When I printed mailing labels I noticed that some contacts were not printed which I figured was due to the larger Verdana 12 font. It is as if the larger font added an increasing offset that moved some of the label data down off the bottom edge of the paper. This is the reason I want to change the font back to Arial 11 because I believe the Avery 5160 labels will print correctly if set to Arial 11 assuming that this is how the Task Management starter DB has been set up.

I'm not a FMP DB expert and I am just helping a friend get the label he needs.

• 8. Re: How do you change the font and size for all records?
                        philmodjunk

I know it doesn't look like it to you, but that's actually a different problem. See this thread and see if it helps.

Formatting text when cut and pasting

If this is a one time fix you can use the expression from this thread in a series of replace options. Unfortunately, you do have to do this one field at a time, but you can do it for all records that use that field.