8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 2:49 PM by TSPigeon

Container External Storage Paths

JulioSandoval

Product and version: FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.3.305

FileMaker Server 15.0.3.308

OS and version: macOS Sierra

Hardware: iMac & FMS Server running on Fully updated and patched Win Server 2012R2

Description:

After setting an full network path, both in the container Field Options AND the File -> Manage Container options,

none of my files are stored where I have told them to. I have tried multiple combination paths and nothing.

According to this post, the writer has the similar issue and could not find a solution.

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/93669

How to replicate:

Make a network share (\\computername\ShareName$\)

Set your container path to network share.

You can also set the Container Field in the Field Options to 'Store container data externally' and under 'Open Storage' set your path to "filewin://computername/ShareName$/"

FileMaker does not throw any errors at all. So one would assume it accepts the path given. Try uploading images or files to your containers. Go to the network share and nothing is in there. But the container contents are present and available. Where is FileMaker server putting them?

We are going to be storing images for this solution and if we can't set a separate storage location, why is this option even available?

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Container External Storage Paths
          TSPigeon

JulioSandoval:

Thank you for your post!

I was unable to reproduce an issue with External Data Storage setup from a Network Path. I followed Storing container field data externally, particularly the information under "Managing external storage of container data". There are example paths listed there. I was also unable to test with "$" in the path.

Can you go to File > Manage > Containers and try adding the path as "\\computername\ShareName\" then set the ContainerField's Storage to use that path?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Container External Storage Paths
            JulioSandoval

I followed those instructions.

I have this set in the Field Options for my container:

"filewin:/C:/Shares/DirectoryName/Images"

When I insert a file, nothing shows up. But the file is available in FM but not in the directory.

Under the File > Mange Containers for the Base Directory I HAD:

C:\Shares\DirectoryName\Images

Once I uploaded the file to the SERVER, the path automatically changed to:

[hosted location]/C/Shares/DirectoryName/Images

And the Images are still not in the directory that I have designated. And when I insert an image to the container, it still does not show up.

So where am I going wrong?

When the file is uploaded to the Server, the Manage Container section does not let me edit the Base Directories.

So I have to edit them locally before they are uploaded.

Here are some screenshots:

Manage Container Directories

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 2.19.27 PM.png

Container Field Options

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 2.19.40 PM.png

Thanks for your reply.

EDIT:

Just wanted to update with some more screenshots:

I updated the Open Storage Path to reflect "Images/"

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 2.29.46 PM.png

When it asks to transfer I get this in the log:

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 2.29.34 PM.png

But still nothing is in the directory stated and nothing when I insert a new image.

Thank you much.

• 3. Re: Container External Storage Paths
              TSPigeon

JulioSandoval:

I do see you are on MacOS and I think the issue is with your path C:\Shares\DirectoryName\Images. Mac OS X may not understand that FullPath. I believe you would want to enter the Network Path (\\computername\ShareName\). You can find this on Windows by:

1. Right-Click folder in Windows

2. Click Properties

3. Go to the Sharing Tab

4. See Network Path:

(For Example): \\ComputerName\Users\Public

I hope this helps!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Container External Storage Paths
                JulioSandoval

No it doesn't.

Why is it that when I edit the local copy of the path (\computer name\sharename\folder\) and then upload the database to FM Server, it changes this container to [hosted database]/computername/sharename/folder?

Does FileMaker not support Network Shares that get Mapped?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Container External Storage Paths
                  TSPigeon

JulioSandoval:

I don't see that they mention the use of Mapped Drives on the information for External Storage. I know the Full Network path should work. I will check into this to confirm one way or the other. Thank you for your patience!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Container External Storage Paths
                    TSPigeon

JulioSandoval:

Thanks again for your patience.

It seems that a hosted file is expected to have Container Data Transferred from the BaseDirectory path to the HostedDatabase location. On Storing container field data externally:

If I have a local database that already has external files inserted into a container field, do I have to manually move the files over to the Server, or can I use the database upload assistant within Server?

You do not need to move files over manually, you can simply use the Upload Database assistant. It transfers the external container field objects to the correct folders on your server for hosting automatically.

In my testing I assumed that the files were still being referenced, when they were really just transferred.

I think setting up an additional database and container folders may be more of what you are looking for.

Additional Database Folder

Additional Container Data Folder

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Container External Storage Paths
                      JulioSandoval

No. What I am looking for is a way to store Container Field Data on a separate drive. Network drive if possible.

If I store container data in a second database, it is still on the FileMaker Server. I am trying to store container data OUTSIDE of the FileMaker Server. Hence, a network drive, or mapped drive, share drive, something NOT on the same drive that the database lives on.

That is why I gave the example of the Base Directory of a container.

BEFORE I upload the file to the server, I am able to change the Base Directory of where Containers are stored.

Hence the example \\computername\sharename\directoryname\

But once the same file is UPLOADED to the FileMaker Server, the Base Directory of the container is changed to [hosted location]/computername/sharename/directoryname and the FileMaker Server creates this path in the:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Databases\RC_Data_FMS folder.

Does FileMaker server support the ability to change the path of the Container Base Directory to a share drive, or network drive?

Thanks

• 8. Re: Container External Storage Paths
                        TSPigeon

JulioSandoval:

The Container Base Directory is not intended to work this way when hosted.

After working with Technical Support, if you really need to keep your containers on a remote volume, you may want to use references opposed to External Storage. It does seem there is no good way to have External Storage on anything other than a local Drive. Calculated Container fields may be a good option for this.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.