All we can tell from here is that some action--most likely in a script is tripping this error by doing something that the current privilege set does not permit. You'll need to do some sleuthing to figure out what that action is and why it is not permitted. If you had FileMaker advanced, I'd suggest enabling the script debugger before opening the file. You can then step through any scripts that are performed watching for this error to occur.
In your case, you'll need to check for a script that is performed when the file is opened and any layout based script triggers such as OnRecordLoad and OnLayoutEnter set up on any layouts accessed when the file is first opened. You may find it useful to temporarly insert Show Custom dialog steps that tell you what script is running and where you are in the script. These can help you narrow down the possibilities.
It's also remotely possible that you have a damaged file. This is much less likely, but could be the cause of a spurious error message such as the one you report. If all else fails, you might try recovering the file and checking to see if the recovered file has the same issue.
Things to keep in mind about Recover:
- Recover does not detect all problems
- Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
- Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
Thank yo uso much for your response!
I actually do have Advanced (this is why I shouldn't type a post before coffee), and I did run the debugger, but it came up clean. No scripts (I was sure there weren't, but I tried just in case).
And I ran the recovery protocol, but it didn't come up with any issues. I will have to wait until tomorrow to test it on the server but when I test it by setting it up for Instant Web Publishing, I am getting the same error on the recovered file as well.
Again, when I access the copy that is living on my computer (where I developed it) there are no problems. I can open it fine.
Any other ideas or suggestions?
You need to use the debugger to test this while the file is hosted from the server. There is some difference there that explains the issue.
Are you using server based security such as Active Directory or FileMaker security settings?
What are you doing just before you get the error message?
sometimes it helps to setup several dialog traps in steps also in conjunction with using your debugger.
OK, I think I may have figured out my problem (won't be able to test it until tomorrow though)
And it is pretty dumb (on my part)
Under the network sharing settings, I somehow managed to limit the accessibility in a way that kept all users from accessing it. <slaps hand on forhead>
Thankfully I am a better educator than a programmer. LOL! (Actually, not much of a programmer at all...just picked up a few skills because we needed something at our school!)
Thanks for all of your responses. If it turns out that this wasn't the issue, I will try your recommendations and let you know!
Old thread but this fixed my problem as well.
What happened for us is that someone had selected under File Options that only a specific user could access it (not even admins).
When we opened it locally as an admin it was fine (even though file options said we should not be able to). However when we uploaded it to our FMP Server admins could no longer log in.
We just had to check "Admins" in that File Options security screen, re-upload and all was well.